Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fungus Among Us

Very warm, windy, and sunny in the Old Pueblo for the past week. Lots of moisture passing to our north has given us gusty conditions. It's no wonder that I got valley fever, sucking all the blowing dust.

The doctor confirmed that the blood test I had showed a blood antibody level for valley fever. Today, I had a CT scan that showed the mass on my lung had decreased about a cm in size. He called me to advise me that this was consistent with the diagnosis. I'm not on any meds for now; they are useful when one is in the throes of hacking, fever, chills, muscle aches etc. My legacy is shortness of breath and occasional coughing. The antifungals that this is treated with are not friendly to one's liver, so I'm opting to use rest and relaxation as my primary treatment. If things go back to where they were a month ago, I'll call the doc for help. Need a chest x-ray (not CT) in a month for him to review.

Steven finished up 2 classes at ASU this week. He's been working full time as a Sushi Chef for several months, and he may be seeking more than full time in the near future. He's training someone else right now as a relief chef. He has 8 more classes to complete for his BA in Design Studies, Built Environment.

We had carpet replaced in teh bedrooms and hardwood put down in the living room, family room and hall. Looks like somebody else's house. Of course, when you do this kinda remodel, it demands that you paint the walls to add pizazz, and the old furniture (we're talking from 10 to 25+years plus in age) looks like crap in this context, so we'll likely need to replace a few items. I need to wait til May 8 to tap into my Federal savings plan without a tax penalty.

Hope all readers are healthy, wealthy and wild!
a

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Dear Andrea,
So glad to hear you are on the mend and feeling much better. Terrible to feel so lousy,,isn't it? We have been doing some yardwork in our yard at our new home in the country. Spending some quality time with Hugh, Imazo and Mae. I know Hugh is hoping to eventually be able to drive again.
I wonder if Steve will one day decide he wants to become a chef full time? He sounds like he is enjoying it.
More later. Love to you all
Ruby (aka Grammy)