Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tiptoe Thru The Tulips

Mundane life is basically the same here in the Old Pueblo.

Vern's Mom, Imazo, is doing incrementally better at home, so we hear from other kin. Her sisters-in-law, Mae and Ruby, have been very kind to visit her frequently and go out to eat and play with her around Knoxville. They've been to many of their favorite haunts---Cracker Barrel, Louis', Litton's---since Imazo was sprung from the hospital, and Ruby has chauffered her to handle business matters. Jeff (V's bro') and his wife Peggy also spend regular time with her, and her sisters from down in Monroe and Bradley counties (i.e., the "country") as well as sister/nieces in Ohio chat with her often via Ma Bell. We wish we could be there to help as well, but it's a long hop to TN. So we FTD'd flowers (15 giant tulips) instead. Until the redbuds and dogwood pop their color at the end of March, it's a constantly depressing drab view out the winter window in TN. Our intent was to brighten her day.

On Monday of this past week, V had an oral board interview for a lateral position at the Corrections Officers Training Academy here in Tucson. It is the location of the training he completed 9 years ago when he was hired by the State. He told me he didn't think he'd get it, and I responded, "Never assume anything." If he gets the position, he'd have a shorter drive to work and more fun, since he'd be teaching new hires how to babysit inmates, rather than doing it himself.

I ventured into town 3 days this week to my new and glorious office. Actually, it's twice as big as the previous one, but smells like a bunch of old wet sneakers. GSA is going to replace the carpet (didn't happen as scheduled before I moved in) and paint. Thus, the office will no longer smell of sneakers but of new carpet and paint. I can work at home while the fumes are dissipating. The windows in the Fed'l bldg do not open (rats!); I sure wish they did. We are like prisoners inhaling 40-year-old recycled air, replete with myriad mystery mold spores and ancient farts.

Yesterday, I did my second lap swim of 2009 in our 95-degree pool. The first was about a month ago during a warm spell, when the water was 88 degrees. Since then, the water temp. declined because of cool nights and windy days, and now, with a bunch of sunshine and 80-degree days, is akin to bathwater. Felt good to flex the ole muscles and sleep it off (12 hours!).

We'll probably be headed soon to breakfast at the local diner at Ryan Airfield, about 15 miles from our home. On Sundays, we often combine the trip with a visit to the county dump (afterward, of course) to save gas and time. We've taken visiting family there (diner not dump), as maybe some of you recall. Todd (the owner) uses only fresh ingredients, so I shouldn't refer to the place as a "diner", but rather an "upscale diner". Both of us usually have a corned beef hash breakfast. Alternatives are a 3-egg omelette bf or a buckwheat waffle w/ strawberries and real whipped cream.

Steven confirmed this week that he will graduate from AZ State U on May 14 at 5:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to venture westward to support him. He asked me if we needed tickets for anyone else. I told him I doubted it (hated to disappoint him).

Cooler air temps today (70s) and breezy as a California storm passes across AZ to our north. Trees we planted in Feb are leafing out and my potted flowers are a-bloomin'. Humidity is generally less than 10% every day and watering daily is a must!

Hope y'all are healthy and blessed.
a

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Andrea, So good to read your blog again.Yes we talk to Imazo a lot,she seems so much better.
She has been through a lot in the last few months, losing the love of her life//and losing her gall
bladder ha/ha/.
have a great day. love Barbara

Grammy said...

Dear Tia Andrea,
Your blog is always so interesting and I really enjoy reading it. Please give Steven our regrets that we can't be there. I am so very proud of him and what he has accomplished. He is a very out-standing young man. I hope David gets the new position. I am sure he would really be good at teaching what he knows to others. Love to you all. Sobrina Grammy